Saturday 23 September.
1.30 to 4 pm, Open Day tours and talk.
4.30 to 5.30 PM, Scilla Sayer (Narara Ecovillage) and Jedda Britten (Founder, Watagan Windhorse), will talk on “Healing with Horses” (Possibly with a horse in attendance!).
September at the Narara Ecovillage: “Healing with Horses”
And now for something completely different!
On Saturday September 23, from 4.30 to 5.30 p.m., Scilla Sayer (Narara Ecovillage) and Jedda Britten (Founder, Watagan Windhorse), will talk on “Healing with Horses”
Scilla writes: “I have witnessed the benefits of this experience for children, young people and adults affected by abuse, neglect or family violence; isolation; loss of homeland due to war; mental health challenges; eating disorders and many other experiences of disconnection, distress, grief or trauma. My clients have found reassurance, respite, regulation and restoration – as well as fun!
School students unable to flourish and at risk of exclusion have gained insight and helpful skills that are transferable to the classroom through being in the presence of these beautiful, non-judgemental, herd-based flight animals”.
Jedda is a young qualified teacher and bush adventure leader. “Like Scilla, I deeply honour Nature as our most profound ‘teacher’. I am blessed to have access to an exquisite 100-acre property in the foothills of the Watagan Range with its resident herd of horses. Here we are gently building a healing and learning practice under Scilla’s mentorship and support from her family”.
If you are interested in learning more, come and join Scilla, Jedda and (with luck) a couple of horsey healers from the herd, in September at the Narara Ecovillage.
- This event will be held at the Narara Ecovillage, 25 Research Road, Narara, NSW 2250.
- You do not need to register to attend the Open day or the Monthly Network talk. Cost to attend any part of the Open Day :individual $10, family $20 (Includes option to hear Monthly NELN Talk).
- All parts of the Open Days are free to members of NELN and NEV, and those who have paid to attend the Open Day.
- NB Membership of NELNallows you to attend all Open Days and Monthly NELN Talk for 12 months, and provides discounts on special workshops and tours. Annual membership costs individual $20, family $40. Join Now!
Community Dinner follows, 6 pm.
Saturday 28 October.
Open Day 1.30 to 5.30 pm.
Network speaker: John Moriarty, “Aboriginal Art, Community and Business”. 4.30 to 5.30 PM, Community Dinner follows at 6 pm.
John Kundereri Moriarty AM is Chairman and Co-founder of Balarinji, a leading Australian Indigenous design and strategy consultancy he established with Ros Moriarty in 1983. He also co-founded, and co-chairs The Nangala Project, a not-for-profit initiative creating an environment for change to benefit children and youth in remote Indigenous communities.
Born at Borroloola in the Gulf of Carpentaria in the Northern Territory, John was taken from his mother at the age of four and brought up in a number of boys’ homes in Sydney and Adelaide under the then government’s assimilation policy.
This motivated a lifelong commitment to advocacy for Aboriginal
equality, reconciliation and cultural preservation. Today a full
member of the Yanyuwa people of his birthplace and belonging
ceremonially to the Rainbow Snake and Kangaroo Dreaming, John has held senior and executive positions in Departments of Aboriginal Affairs at both Federal and State Government levels.
John’s autobiography, Saltwater Fella, was published by Penguin Books in 2000, and was Highly Commended in the Australian Human Rights Commission Literary Awards.
Sunday 26 November.
10.30 am to 1 pm. Ecovillage Open Day – tours and talk.
1.30 pm. Monthly Network speaker TBA.
(Rhonda Chang is no longer able to speak at this event)
- All events are at the Narara Ecovillage, 25 Research Road, Narara, unless otherwise indicated.
- You do not need to register to attend the Open day or Monthly Network talk. You usually do need to register for paid-admission workshops, but this will always be specified.
- Cost to attend any part of the Open Day :(unless specified above) individual $10, family $20 (Includes option to hear Monthly NELN Talk). All parts of the Open Days are free to members of NELN and NEV, and those who have paid to attend the Open Day. Community meals ( if listed above): no cost if attending Open Day or NELN Talk. Please bring some food to share. E.g. a salad, soup, bread and cheese, fruit or a dessert.
- NB Membership of NELN allows you to attend all Open Days and Monthly NELN Talk, and provides discounts on special workshops and tours. Annual membership costs individual $20, family $40. Join Now!